This recipe is a very traditional dish from the Sierra de Segura, although it is also prepared in many towns of the province of Jaén.
The Ajoatao or Ajo Atao .
This dish is a cream made with boiled potatoes, garlic, salt, egg and emulsified with extra virgin olive oil. It is served with grilled meats such as lamb segureño, or with cod or also just spread on toast.
This is a very typical recipe from the region of Cuenca. Like most Easter recipes , it is based on cod, but in a totally different way. It is a consistent puree based on cod, garlic, potato and bread crumbs with olive oil. Try it and let us know what you think!
- 500 gr of potatoes
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, (Ajos Gallardo)
- 1 egg yolk
- 175 ml of organic extra virgin olive oil.
- Lemon juice
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan with water and cook until they are tender. Let them cool, peel and reserve.
- Crush the garlic and the salt together
- Mash the potatoes well until the are a puree constiency then add the egg yolk, a few drops of lemon juice, the salt and garlic and mix throrougly
- Add the olive oil little by little ,and apparently itis important to stir the mixture only in a clockwise direction!
- Sprinkle a chopped hard boiled egg on top ( optional)
Serve with cod or lamb or use as a dip with crackers, bread sticks or toast.