Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE or Foreigners’ Identity Card) and how/when you can apply.

Via British Embassy Page – Expats in Spain

Many of you have asked about the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE or Foreigners’ Identity Card) and how/when you can apply for it. The latest information from the Spanish authorities is as follows:

If you already have the green registration certificate (A4 or credit card-sized) this will remain a valid residency document even after the transition period ends on 31 December this year. You do not need to take any action now.

However, the Spanish authorities are working with the European Commission to introduce a new document, the TIE, for any UK national in Spain who has rights under the Withdrawal Agreement. The card will explicitly state that the holder is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Once the card is introduced, anyone who applies to register as a resident after that date, but during the transition period, will be issued with the new TIE. Anyone who holds a green certificate will have the right to request this TIE. We will update you as soon as we have further information on when and how the new card will be introduced, and the process for applying. However, there will be no deadline by which time those of you who already have a green certificate must have a TIE, so there is no need to panic.

Meanwhile, if you do not have a green certificate yet, you can continue to apply via the current route until at least 28 February, using the drop down option exclusively for UK nationals where that is available (https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icp…/index.html). Until the new TIE is introduced, you will be issued with the green certificate.

For further information sign up for updates to gov.uk/livinginspain and keep an eye on the Spanish government website at http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/…/howtopr…/Paginas/citizens.aspx

If you need help with Spanish paperwork of any type. Please consult the experts on our directory on the link below.