FIRST A LITTLE HISTORY
The celebration itself stems from the New Testament where it is said that the kings, Melchor, Gaspar, and Balthasar, traveled by night all the way from the farthest confines of the Earth to bring gifts to Jesus, whom they recognized as the Son of God. As well as being regal, the Three Kings are depicted as wise men.
Arriving from three different directions, the kings followed the light provided by the star of Bethlehem, which reportedly lingered over the manger where the Virgin Mary gave birth.
In 1885, the Spanish government called for a parade to mark this very special holiday. While the traditional scriptures tell of gifts of myrrh and gold and incense, these days the Kings are more prone to bringing candies and more practical gifts. It remains, however, a beloved tradition and also the longest standing parade in Spain.
NOW TO THE ROYAL ARRIVAL TIMES…
January 2nd The Three Kings of the East are scheduled to arrive to collect the letters that the children have written.
January 3rd There will be inflatables and children’s activities, and the children’s theatre “Beauty and the Beast” will be on January 4 at 7:00 pm.
January 5th At 6.30 pm, the Three Kings will arrive at the Poble Nou de Benitatxell Town Hall from where they will travel to the Plaça de les Pesqueres to distribute the gifts to the children.
The Mass of Kings on Sunday 6th will be at 6:00 p.m. in the Church.
Thursday, January 3rd
05:30 p.m. BIG PARTY OF THE THREE WISE MEN
07:00 p.m.The Royal Ambassador collects the letters addressed to Father Christmas at Pl. Jaume I.
Saturday, January 5th
06:30 p.m. Arrival of their Majesties the Kings of the East. At C/Sant Josep, to City Hall.
Sunday, January 6th
12 a.m. Mass and VISIT Their Majesties the Three Wise Men in the old people’s home for giving gifts.
The Three Kings will be parading through the streets of Calpe during the evening of Saturday 5th January 2019. They will leave the Plaza Colon at 17:30 and following the traditional route will arrive at the Plaza de la Villa.
On Saturday 5th January at 18: 00 hours. The start of the Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos, which will begin at the port and will tour the Calle Marques de Campo and Diana to the Plaza de la Constitución.
On Thursday, December 27 Collection of letters by the royal messengers which takes place at 6:30 p.m. in the Plaza de la Iglesia. The Comissió de Festes del Santíssim Crist will offer a chocolate for all attendees.
Friday, January 4, the royal messengers will visit the municipality at nightfall, touring its streets performing the traditional side announcing the arrival of the three kings the following day.
Saturday 5, visit the c/La Paz Sand the Plaza de la Iglesia, the central points of the staging. At 6:30 p.m.
See Programme Below
Kings arrive on 5th January at 6.30 pm.
Thursday, January 3, 2019
- Collection of letters. : At 5:00 p.m. the royal pages of Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar will tour the streets of Xàbia Història starting from the Casal Foguerer of the Plaza Constitución and ending the tour at the Municipal Market where they will collect the letters of the Magi and offer a chocolate .
Friday, January 4, 2019
- Children’s activities : At 17:00 hours activities next to the Christmas tree located on the seafront of Xàbia Port.
Saturday, January 5, 2019
- Wait for the Magi . From 10:30 am to 2:00 pm In Xabia Port, the children can wait for the Magi with children’s activities and a Minidisco. At this time, the prize draw will be made for the € 1,500 prize in Xàbia Port purchases.
- Arrival of the Magi : At 5:00 p.m. The Kings will arrive at the PORT DE XÀBIA by boat. After disembarking, the CABALGATA will begin, which will run through Customs streets and end at Avenida Jaime I.
- Second Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos: At 7:00 p.m. continue the ride through Juan Carlos I street, Avda.Alicante, Ronda Norte, Prince of Asturias to the Placeta del Convent, where the Kings will address the children.
December 28 and 29, the Royal Emissaries will arrive to collect letters from the boys and girls.
Friday 28 Accompanied by the Drum Band ,The Mediterranean and the Grup de Teatre El Portitxolet arrive
Saturday 29 Colla El Falçò and the Grup de Danses Font Santa.
From Moraira, the Royal Emissary will make a tour starting at 5:00 pm from the Avenida del Portet until arriving at the Plaza de la Iglesia, where he will stay to pick up the letters that he will later give to the Kings from the East.
In Teulada, the route will begin on Santa Catalina Avenue at 6:00 p.m. to the Plaza de los Porches.
In addition, a space will be available in both urban centres so that anyone who wants to can make their requests to their Majesties. This space (which , in Teulada will be the Municipal Sports Pavilion) will be open on 3 and 4 January from 10 am to 10 pm and on January 5 from 10 am to 1 pm. In Moraira orders will be handled on January 4 from 10 am to 2 pm and from 5 pm to 8 pm and on January 5 from 10 am to 1 pm at C / Almancenes, 9.